Skip to main content

Where you can get good advice

Managing your money can be hard and not all of us have the skills, experience or inclination to sort out our own finances.

That's why a professional adviser can be a great help, whether you need a day-to-day budget or are looking for investment advice.

Good financial advice should focus on your goals and current financial situation and balance your short, medium and long term needs.

Budgeting help

Tip: Ask your budget adviser to check if you are eligible for any government help such as Working for Families tax credits.

The New Zealand Federation of Family Budgeting Services provides free, confidential and personalised budgeting advice from trained budget advisers. They're a good place to start.

They can give you advice about government support, debt consolidation and bankruptcy.

You can find a budget adviser at the Federation of Family Budgeting Services.

Borrowing help

For advice on reducing debt you could talk to a budget adviser, your bank, a mortgage broker or financial planner. Talk to your bank to make sure your bank accounts and services are right for you. Some have budgeting tools to help you put money aside for bills, debt repayment or saving.
Budget advisers can sometimes deal with lenders like your bank on your behalf.

Mortgage brokers sell home loans and independent brokers offer products from a number of lenders. Many are willing to look at your overall financial position and may be able to help with budgeting.

Insurance help

Not sure what types of insurance, or how much, will meet your needs and budget? You can get help from an insurance broker or financial adviser, or by talking directly to an insurance company.

An independent insurance broker will be able to offer the widest variety of products. They may also be able to help you with making claims on your insurance.

Investing advice

Financial advisers and sharebrokers give advice about investing in shares, bonds and sometimes property. They are able to help you build a portfolio of investments that best suits you. Some people also use financial coaches and mentors to help them get ahead.
Find out more about how to choose an financial or investment adviser.

Legal advice

If your tax situation is complex or you need legal advice, you may need to talk to an accountant or lawyer. Community Law Centres provide free legal advice.
You will need an experienced lawyer or accountant to help you set up a family trust

For help with making a will, talk to a lawyer or a trustee company such as the Public Trust.

You can find a lawyer on the New Zealand Law Society website.



  • Last updated on .